Are you currently dealing with Giardia in your dog? Here at Alphazoo we give you an overview of what Giardia is, how your dog can become infected with it, and most importantly: How to get your dog back to health.
What is Giardia?
Giardia are tiny parasites that infect the intestinal lining of dogs and can cause intestinal inflammation known as giardiasis. The parasites are usually found in contaminated water and can cause severe diarrhea and other digestive problems.
Symptoms of giardiasis
The most common signs of giardiasis are repeated diarrhea, which is often greasy and smells unpleasant. Your dog may also show loss of appetite and lose weight. In severe cases, vomiting and fever may occur.
Diagnosis of Giardia
Giardia can be diagnosed through a stool sample examined under a microscope. The test can be repeated several times to make a definitive diagnosis, as Giardia cannot always be detected in every sample.
Treatment of giardiasis
Treatment for giardiasis usually involves medical therapy to kill the parasites, along with a change in diet and fluid therapy if necessary. Consistent hygiene is also crucial to prevent reinfection.
The best way to prevent giardiasis is to avoid contaminated water. Therefore, you should pay attention to where your dog drinks. Regular grooming and thorough hand washing can also help prevent the infection from spreading.
- Giardia is a microscopic parasite that can cause intestinal inflammation in dogs.
- The symptoms of giardiasis include recurrent diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- A diagnosis is made through a stool examination under the microscope.
- Treatment includes medical therapy, change of diet and consistent hygiene.
- You can prevent it by avoiding contaminated water and using thorough care and hygiene.
At Alphazoo, we are committed to helping you maintain the health of your pet as best as possible. If your dog is suffering from giardiasis, we are here to help and provide solutions to boost your pet's intestinal health .