Is your puppy just experiencing its first coat change and you're unsure what to do? At Alphazoo we explain everything you need to know about shedding puppies.
Shedding is a natural process in which your puppy swaps his fluffy puppy fur for the coarser adult fur. This process usually begins between 4 and 6 months of age.
Racial differences in coat change
Remember that shedding can be different for every breed of dog. For example, dogs with thick fur may take longer to shed than dogs with short fur.
Watch for changes in your puppy's coat
You may notice changes in your dog's coat during shedding. It may look drier and dull as the new, adult fur comes through.
Support your puppy's coat change
Routine grooming, such as brushing and bathing with puppy shampoo , is especially important during shedding. Brushing can remove dead hair and help new fur grow faster.
Nutrition and coat change
A high-quality, balanced diet is crucial to helping your puppy through shedding. Good nutrients support the healthy growth of your puppy's new coat.
- Shedding is a natural process in which puppies swap their baby fur for adult fur.
- This process can occur differently in different breeds and generally takes several weeks.
- It's important to support your puppy with regular care throughout this process.
- A balanced diet can support the healthy growth of your puppy's new coat.
- Overall, you should be patient and offer your dog lots of love and care during shedding.
At alphazoo we help you help your puppy through all phases of his growth. With our tips and products, you can rest assured that you're doing your best to support your puppy's coat transition.